Online Surveys using Qualtrics and REDCap
NHSR, Exempt, Flex Protocols without PHI
NHSR (Not Human Subject Research), Exempt and Flex protocols do not require participants to sign consent forms to participate in the activity. However, the WVU IRB requires that all activities involving collecting/using information about humans include a question asking for their voluntary permission and an explanation of the activity.
If PHI is to be collected, the HSC Version of Qualtrics or REDCap must be used and a HIPAA Authorization must be signed by the participant (OHRP-38) or a HIPAA Waiver approved (OHRP-21).
Online Survey Protocol Submission Requirements (WVU+kc):
Explain the activity to the participant by one of the following methods:
- Use the WVU OHRP-25 (informational cover letter Word template) and attach the document to the protocol submission
- Enter text into the survey to explain the activity to the participant with sufficient detail to make an informed decision about participation. WVU OHRP-25 provides an optional template which may be adapted for this purpose.
- A PDF of the draft informational cover letter WVU OHRP-25 (if applicable).
- The link (url) for the online survey (Include in the WVU+kc notes section).
- A PDF of the draft online survey. (Add to Attachments in WVU+kc).
- Include links and PDFs for other electronic materials that will be used.
What you need to know:
- Check the WVU ITS approved software list if Qualtrics or REDCap will not be used. If the product is not listed, contact the WVU OHRP in advance of any due dates as approval of new products may take time.
- WVU Qualtrics cannot be used for PHI - Use the HSC version of Qualtrics or REDCap
- STANDARD TEXT: I voluntarily agree to participate and I understand that I can stop participating at any time (Yes/No).